Will you choose to run? Join us on Saturday, October 12th, 2019, in scenic Plymouth Notch for the 2nd Annual Coolidge 5K! Non-runners are invited to participate in the “I Do Not Choose to Run” 1-Mile Walk, which takes place immediately after the race.
Runners will explore the delightful grounds and surrounding areas of the historic Coolidge homestead. Except for roughly the first and last 50 meters, which are over grass, the new course is entirely on road (pavement and packed dirt/gravel). The course features gently rolling hills and begins and ends at the same place. The event will be professionally timed.
Non-runners are invited take part in the “I Do Not Choose to Run” 1-Mile Walk, so named for Coolidge’s famous and characteristically concise declaration about his intention not to seek re-election for president in 1928. The walk, which begins after the 5K race, will also cover key sights around the historic grounds.
Everyone who registers by October 1st for either the 5K race or the 1-Mile Walk is guaranteed to receive a Coolidge 5K/Walk t-shirt. After the race, stick around as we will award prizes for top finishers ($100 cash prizes for top male finisher and top female finisher) and raffle off a variety of other giveaways to participants!
The run and the walk are part of a fun, family-friendly day at the President Calvin Coolidge State Historic Site. Come and partake in one or both events! Also taking place at the site on Saturday is the Plymouth Notch Antique Apple Fest.
Details at a Glance
- Date: Saturday, October 12th
- Start time for the Coolidge 5K: 10am
- Start time for the “I Do Not Choose to Run” 1-Mile Walk: 11am
- Location: Coolidge Foundation and Historic Site, 3780 Route 100A, Plymouth, VT 05056
- Cost: $20 for adults, $10 for kids under 18
- 5k Course Map: Coolidge 5K Course Map (New course for 2019!)
- 1-Mile Walk Course Map: I Do Not Choose to Run 1-Mile Walk Course Map
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I register on the day of the race? Registering in advance is preferred, but yes, race-day race registration is also available if you just want to show up and register on the spot. Please arrive at least a half hour before the race in order to ensure plenty of time.
- Will my GPS watch work out there? Yes, your GPS watch should work. In fact, you will probably get a signal quite quickly. Your phone, however, may not get cellular service, so be aware of that. There is Wi-Fi for when you are inside or close to the visitor center.
- Is this a fast course or a slow course? The new course (for 2019) is faster than the hilly course originally used in 2018. After a flat 75m start along the grass and a quick 100m descent down the driveway, the course levels out for a flat 500m curve along Route 100A. Two quarter-mile climbs bring you to the highest point in the course at around the 1.3 mile mark. From there, it is moderately downhill until about 2.2. The course is then flat to gently rising until 2.9. The course closes with a fast 200m downhill, followed by a 100m up the driveway, and a flat final 75m.
- Is this course stroller-friendly? The course is somewhat stroller-friendly, if you have a jogging stroller. The course features multiple surface types, including grass, pavement, and dirt/gravel. For safety, we ask that runners with strollers begin at the back of the pack and only move up after about the first mile when runners have spread out.
- Are there restrooms onsite? Yes, please use the restrooms in the lower part of the barn that is located next to welcome center. There are no porta-potties along the course.
- Is there a water stop? Yes, there is one water stop on the course.
If you have any questions or would like to volunteer, contact race chairman Jared Rhoads (email@example.com).
Businesses and organizations: would you like to be part of this special event? We have many exciting Sponsorship Opportunities for you!
- Male course record: Kevin Baird 23:09 (2018) * old course
- Female course record: Emily Stack 23:17 (2018) * old course
Past Results and Photos
PRESIDENT LEVEL SPONSORS
Tim and Tracie Chinaris
GOVERNOR LEVEL SPONSORS
MAYOR LEVEL SPONSORS
Amity Shlaes and Seth Lipsky
Online registration is now closed, but you can still participate! Race-day registration onsite is available. Please arrive at least a half hour before the race in order to do race-day registration, and to expedite the payment process, please bring cash or check.