- This event has passed.
1st Annual Coolidge 5K & 1-Mile Walk
Will you choose to run? Join us on Saturday, October 6th, in scenic Plymouth Notch for the First Annual Coolidge 5K! Non-runners are invited to participate in the “I Do Not Choose to Run” 1-Mile Walk!
Runners will explore the delightful grounds and surrounding areas of the historic Coolidge homestead on a mixed-surface 5K course, featuring gently rolling terrain partly on road and partly on mowed grass paths. The event will be professionally timed.
Non-runners are invited take part in the “I Do Not Choose to Run” 1-Mile Walk, so named for Coolidge’s famous and characteristically concise declaration about his intention not to seek re-election for president in 1928. The walk, which begins after the 5K race, will also cover key sights around the historic grounds.
Every registrant will receive a special Coolidge water bottle, and the first 50 registrants for either the 5K race or the 1-Mile Walk will also receive a commemorative t-shirt. After the race, we will award prizes for top finishers ($100 cash prizes for top male finisher and top female finisher) and award other giveaways to participants!
The run and the walk are part of a fun, family-friendly day at the President Calvin Coolidge State Historic Site. Come and partake in one or both events! For kids 12 and under, we will have a separate 100-yard “Plug Hat Race” after the 5K! (For the Plug Hat Race, racers will race across the lawn with a bowler cap, supplied by us.) Also taking place at the site on Saturday 6th is the Plymouth Notch Antique Apple Fest.
Details at a Glance
- Date: Saturday, October 6th
- Start time for the Coolidge 5K: 10am
- Start time for the “I Do Not Choose to Run” 1-Mile Walk: 11am
- Also featuring: A 100-yard “Plug Hat Race” for kids 12 and under (we’ll supply the old-time hats!)
- Location: Coolidge Foundation and Historic Site, 3780 Route 100A, Plymouth, VT 05056
- Cost: $20 for adults, FREE for children and students 18 and under
- 5k Course Map: 2018 Coolidge 5K Course Map with Elevation and Markers
- 1-Mile Walk Course Map: 2018 I Do Not Choose to Run 1-Mile Walk Course Map
Frequently Asked Racer Questions
- Will my GPS watch work out there? Yes, your GPS watch should work. In fact, you will probably get a signal quite quickly. Your phone, however, may not get cellular service, so be aware of that.
- Is this a fast course or a slow course? This course is moderately hilly, which means it will be a little on the slow side. Most of the elevation gain occurs between mile markers 1 and 2. The course has a fast finish, though. From about 2.2 until the end at 3.1, the course is almost all downhill.
- Is this course stroller-friendly? The grassy terrain in certain sections could make for a bumpy ride. There are also some narrow sections of the course. Strollers are not prohibited, but they are discouraged.
- Is this a trail run? No! There are some sections over nicely mowed grass, but it is not a trail run. We won’t be sending you out into the woods or up a mountain!
- Are there restrooms at the start and finish? Yes, please use the restrooms in the lower part of the barn that is located next to welcome center. There are no porta-potties along the course.
- Is there a water stop? Yes, there is one water stop at about the 1.4 miles as you head out of the village. If you wish, you can hit it a second time on your return into the village, which will occur at about 2.8 miles into the race.
If you have any questions or would like to volunteer, contact race chairman Jared Rhoads (email@example.com).
Businesses and organizations: would you like to be part of this special event? We have many exciting sponsorship opportunities for you!