The Coolidge Foundation welcomes everyone to visit the Calvin Coolidge State Historic Site located in Plymouth Notch, Vermont. Plymouth Notch represents a unique location for students to learn about the 30th President and the place that he grew up. The Coolidge Foundation invites teachers to bring their classes to the Coolidge Historic Site for programs throughout they year.
The site features a number of fully preserved buildings and countless artifacts from Coolidge’s time at the Notch, both as a child and as President. This includes his birthplace, the homestead where he grew up, the general store and cheese factory his father owned, the 1924 Summer White House, the Plymouth School House, and President Coolidge’s grave site. In addition, the historic site features multiple barns with 18th century farm equipment and the President Calvin Coolidge Museum and Education Center. Students will be led throughout the village and buildings by trained docents who are ready to teach them about the site and answer any questions they have.
History exploration visits are the perfect way for students to learn about local, Vermont, and United States History. The President Calvin Coolidge Museum and Education Center is available year-round for visits and programs. Even though the historic buildings are closed during the colder months, students can still explore the village and museum.
In addition to History Exploration Programs, students and teachers are invited to a number of other programs, including:
- Variety of hands on activities that give experiences with simple machines, artifacts, historic photographs and letters, making a tumbling blocks quilt design, and relating life today with life in Coolidge’s time (available year round for all visits)
- Constitution Day – Participatory programs, a program option during September visits
- Diary making in the classroom
- Spring Buckwheat Planting
- Fall Buckwheat Harvesting
- Sheep Shearing
- Postcard writing in the Schoolhouse
To plan a class visit, please contact the Coolidge Foundation, at email@example.com or call 802-672-3389, Ext. 112.